August 19 2021,
The big idea
Happy Friday all!
Did you know you can buy three types of newsletter ads in the self-serve WeedWeek store? We just repriced them and for a limited time you can get a 30% discount with the code WeedWeek30.
If you’re interested in email blasts to our 10,000+ subscribers and other sponsorship opportunities, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Today in the newsletter:
- Eaze makes a big acquisition
- New Jersey REC rules are finally out
- Smoking weed may lead to infertility in men
As ever, I hope you find it valuable,
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn
WeedWeek regularly links to paywalled content.
New Jersey releases REC rules
Health & Science
Study: Smoking weed may cause infertility in men
- Nearly half of U.S. adults have tried cannabis.
- The Inc. 5,000 list of the country’s fastest growing private companies including Revolutionary Clinics (#4), SpringBig(#69), Mattio Communications (#190), Willow Industries (#205), Sunderstorm (#319), Extract Labs (#615), Treez (#812), Cannabox (#2,371), Wana Brands (#2,675), Vape Guys (#4.065) and Giving Tree Dispensary (#4,617).
- The ex-fiancee of conservative California talk show host Larry Elder(R), who hopes to replace Gov. Gavin Newsom(D) in the upcoming recall election, says he brandished a gun at her, while high.
- The IRS hosted a seminar on tax policy for cannabis and crypto.
- Canadian operator Tilray invested in MSO MedMen.
- Grown In says the big winners in Illinois’ lottery are existing companies.
- California completed its consolidation from three to one cannabis regulators.
- The Massachusetts market is booming.
- California is on the brink of decriminalizing psychedelics.
- Oklahoma’s market is saturated. And the state named a new top regulator.
Denver Post, The Oklahoman
- San Diego dispensary March and Ash is suing a former captain in the county sheriff’s office and others alleging they empower the illegal market.
Voice of San Diego
- In High Times, Andrew Ward takes a look at the fine line brands walk on social media.
- Inside Higher Ed checks out the rise of cannabis career education on campus. WeedWeek advertiser Green Flower makes an appearance.
- New Cannabis Ventures talked to buzzy California brand Pure Beauty.
- Activist Eddy Lepp, who spent seven years in federal prison, died at 69.
- Brian “Box” Brown drew a comic depicting the trial of J.T. Burnette, husband of Trulieve CEO Kim Rivers.
- Nine celebrities on their “life-changing” psychedelic experiences.
- All inclusive psychedelic resorts are becoming a thing.
- Los Angeles is hosting a cannabis career fair tomorrow.
- There will be a cannabis wedding expo August 29th in Las Vegas.
- The Great Boulder Duck Race, to benefit the Colorado city’s parks and recreation department, will be on August 29.
IN THE WEEDS
- The American Bar Association discusses the future of pre-employment drug testing.
- Bengal Capital looks to California for lessons in brand building.
- Eater‘s Gastropod(cast) discussed getting into the edibles business. It previously discussed the history of pot brownies.
- Canna Law Blog discusses when China, canna and IP overlap.
- In a new report, data firm Headset dives into the flower category.
- Marketing tech firm Fyllo hosted a webinar on the New York, New Jersey and Connecticut markets.
- Jane Technologies exec Brian Geddes observed his no longer consuming wife shop for cannabis.
- How has legalization affected Colorado home values?
- Mattio started a new podcast, High Priority, focused on issues related to equity.
- A slideshow in Packaging Digest features pot packaging that targets different age groups.
- Rob McPherson, scourge of cannabis LinkedIn, on “entrepreneurial spirit.”
- Florida activist and entrepreneur Brett Puffenbarger discussed the importance of compliance. He also asked which of these movie cars would you like to hotbox?
- Bubba Nicholson on what he learned visiting 1,056 dispensaries.
- Writer Kaitlin Domangue recounts her husband’s quest to work as a cultivator in Missouri.
- The Blacklist checks out illegal grows in the California desert.
WANA HAVE SOME FUN?
WEEDWEEK HIGH SOCIETY -- 8/20/21
Do your part to make High Society possible: Get vaccinated.
Wana sales rep Michelle Allen and senior director of marketing Dan Dwiggins hanging at an event the brand hosted at OG Boulder dispensary The Farm.
Send pictures for High Society to hello@weed
Pics should be between 600 and 1000 pixels long and wide. Each should include the name and affiliation (if relevant) of everyone pictured as well as the event’s name, date and location. Ideally submit several pics so we can pick our favorites.