February 14 2022,
THE BIG IDEA
Between the Super Bowl and Valentine’s day, it’s been an unusually slow week in the cannabiz. Or maybe everyone’s just saving the news for 4/20. Hope you’ve been enjoying the slight lull.
In the newsletter:
- Battleground Oklahoma
- New York bill could accelerate REC access
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn
WeedWeek regularly links to paywalled content.
Hiring? The new WeedWeek Careers Center offers a great value prop for employers. WeedWeek Pro members get a big discount.
UNTAMED OKLAHOMA MARKET FACES GROWING PAINS
In Oklahoma’s freewheeling MED market, it’s said to be as easy to open a dispensary as a taco stand. The state, according to a recent piece in the New York Times, has more dispensaries than Colorado, Washington and Oregon combined.
Companies love the low start-ups costs, but the flourishing illegal market isn’t a great look as the industry moves into more conservative states.
N.Y. BILL COULD ACCELERATE REC ACCESS
A new bill in the New York state senate would grant conditional licenses to let hemp farmers start growing, apparently ahead of the state’s licensing process.
- “Our existing hemp growers, who have been some of the hardest hit by market fluctuations, already have the knowledge base to meet this need, and I’m proud to sponsor legislation to help them obtain conditional licenses, which will allow New York to implement its cannabis program faster,” State Sen. Michelle Hinchey said.
- She said the bill would have equity benefits as well.
- Safe banking sponsor Rep. Ed Perlmutter says he’s “confident” the bill will pass this year.
- Rosie Mattio, founder and CEO of powerhouse PR firm Mattio Communications (a WeedWeek advertiser), is partnering with Madison Fiore, previously of marketing firm Hawke Media, to form MATTIO + FIORE Media, Fiore posted on LinkedIn.
- Colorado banking company Safe Harbor Financial is going public on the NASDAQ through a $185M SPAC deal.
- Pot stocks are starting to show some momentum.
New Cannabis Ventures
- Cannabis icons Snoop Dogg and Willie Nelson had Super Bowl gigs. Snoop was spotted smoking right before he hit the stage.
N.Y. Times, KXAN (NBC-Austin)
- California regulators are distributing $100M to 17 municipalities to help them transition thousands of businesses out of ‘provisional’ licenses.
- Michigan is combining its cannabis and hemp regulatory agencies.
Green Market Report
- In Israel, MED has been an economic boon for kibbutz’s.
- On Thursday, Feb. 17, Shryne Group and Black-owned businesses 40Tons and Brand Resumes are hosting job fair Canna Get a Second Chance in Hawthorne, Calif. (East Bay)
Respect my Region
- CelebStoner interviewed Roz McCarthy, founder of Minorities for Medical Marijuana and Black Buddha Cannabis, about her new brand.
Fun and Interesting:
- Snoop Dogg’s Team Fluff defeated Martha Stewart’s Team Ruff in the puppy bowl.
- A Pineapple Express dispensary opened in LA. Rapper 2 Chainz is the second largest shareholder.
- A Bored Ape Yacht Club NFT holder licensed the ape to California brand Backpack Boyz.
The Future Party
- In Michigan, JARS and Terrapin Care Station are partnering to fund scholarships at technical school Higher Learning Institution.
- California brand Pure Beauty is arriving at Gage Growth stores in Michigan.
- MSO Ascend Wellness Holdings promoted co-founder and Chief Strategy Officer Frank Perullo to president.
- Flora Growth named Vessel founder James Choe Chief Strategy Officer. (Flora acquired Vessel last year.)
- MSO MedMen‘s Chief Revenue Officer Tracy McCourt is leaving to lead West Hollywood tourism initiative Emerald Village.
- Nevada-based Deep Roots Harvest named Chris O’Farrell Director of Cultivation.
- Brianne Marie Dezzutti is now senior brand manager at MSO Curaleaf.
- The Santa-Rosa Press Democrat looks at how Lagunitas refined its Hi-Fi Hops infused drink for its new Hi-Fi Sessions beverage.
- Fashion brand De IONESCU has a new hemp waistcoat. (Cannabis Tech Today argued hemp clothing could save the world.)
- Alice Moon shared some sexy Valentine’s Day gift ideas.
- Joey Brabo enjoyed the Weedmaps Super Bowl party.
- Consultant Travis Cesarone looked at a study about whether terpenes have any effect.
WeedWeek High Society
POSIBL CEO Jesus Burrola & HUMO Brand Partner Susie Plascencia with Members of the Mariachi Arcoiris de Los Ángeles, the first LGBTQ+ mariachi band in LA, at the HUMO Launch Party on February 3rd.
Send pictures for High Society to email@example.com.
Pics should be between 600 and 1000 pixels long and wide. Each should include the name and affiliation (if relevant) of everyone pictured as well as the event’s name, date and location. Ideally submit several pics so we can pick our favorites.
Reach the most influential audience in cannabis by advertising in the self-serve WeedWeek store.
Want to learn more about email blasts, sponsored content and other promotional opportunities? Download our media kit or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.