Save $20 on WW Pro with code: WWCalPro20
January 4 2022,
THE BIG IDEA
Happy new year all!
I’m excited to say WeedWeek Live returns Friday for our pro-members. In our Discord community, Jackie Bryant will be talking to Chris Anderson, CEO of Humboldt craft grower Redwood Roots about California’s market mess. He’ll take your questions as well.
Hope to see you there!
In the newsletter:
- MedMen terminates NY deal with Ascend
Next in WeedWeek Live:
Redwood Roots CEO Chris Anderson
Friday, January 7, 2022 at 11 a.m. PT in the WeedWeek Pro Discord community
WeedWeek regularly links to paywalled content.
- As New York Times story is skeptical of Wana Brands’ claim that its ‘Fit’ line of gummies, which contain THCV, promote weight loss.
- You can now buy weed in the metaverse.
- New Mexico-based U.S. Eagle Federal Credit Union says it is the first U.S. financial institution to receive a certification to handle cannabis banking.
- MG Retailer has a list of 22 industry leaders to watch in 2022.
- MJBiz has a list of 10 industry trends to watch in the new year.
- SXSW has selected several cannabis and psychedelics panels for the March festival.
- Marijuana Moment runs through the new state pot laws taking effect this year.
- The L.A.Times editorial page takes California to task for the industry’s struggles. Meanwhile, oversupply has forced some California growers to let their crop rot.
The Growth Op
- An Oklahoma activist said an effort to get REC on the 2022 ballot is on track.
- Syracuse.com reviews New York’s big year in weed.
Health and Science:
- A study suggested MED might reduce opioid cravings in patients on methadone treatment.
- A federal anti-DUI ad has been criticized for featuring a cool-seeming cheetah.
- In Utah a self-proclaimed MED millionaire allegedly kidnapped and tortured a woman for weeks.
Fun and interesting:
- The DEA posted a decoder for emoji drug references i.e. which emojis refer to different drugs.
- MSO Green Thumb Industries is acquiring LeafLine, to reach Minnesota. CEO Ben Kovler anticipates the industry will grow to $75B in three to five years.
Crain’s Chicago Business, CNBC
- MSO Curaleaf acquired Bloom Dispensaries for $211M growing its position in Arizona. MJBiz dives into the details of a rare industry leveraged buyout.
- MSO Trulieve acquired PurpleMed Healing Center dispensary in Tucson, Ariz. for an undisclosed amount.
- Ilera Holistic is one of two smokable MED flower providers in Louisiana, which just allowed that product. Patients griped about the prices.
- Oakland activist/entrepreneur Amber Senter posted that she’s leaving her company Breeze Distro to start a new one called Makr House. She remains with Equity Works!
- Meghan Fort joined California retailer The Perfect Union as SVP, retail.
- Amanda Reiman is joining New Frontier Data as VP, public policy research, in addition to her role as founder of Personal Plants.
- CEO and co-founder Jennifer Dianne Thomas and co-founder and former CEO Michael “Dooma” Wendschuh are departing Province Brands. Mary Ritz is the new CEO. In June 2020, I wrote a story about the Canadian start-up’s efforts to brew beer from weed.
Reach the most influential audience in cannabis by advertising in the self-serve WeedWeek store.