The vape crisis — or at least the first wave thereof — seems to be largely under control. But it’s likely to have long term reverberations in the cannabis industry, and beyond.
- President Trump appears ready to ban all vape flavors except “adult” flavors menthol and tobacco. This is despite warnings from conservatives that it could cost him re-election. It’s not clear what the implications are for flavored THC vapes.
- In a lawsuit, a fired Juul Labs executive alleges the company knowingly shipped 1M tainted nicotine pods. The company called the allegations baseless. The suit quotes former CEO Kevin Burns regarding a proposal to put expiration dates on pods: ‘‘Half our customers are drunk and vaping like mo-fo’s, who the [expletive] is going to notice the quality of our pods.’’
- Trump’s action has revived a controversy over whether to ban menthol cigarettes— which are more addictive– because of the unique risks they pose to African Americans.
- Slate has a long list of everything that may be causing the illness.
- NPR has a great piece on the CDC’s scramble to control the outbreak.