No states voted on legalization in a relatively low key election year for the cannabiz, and the country. Still a few races and ballot initiatives suggest what voters may be thinking and where pot policy may be heading.
- In Ohio, voters in seven cities decriminalized and voters in eight cities rejected them. (Ohio has legalized MED.)
- Virginia has legalized REC but Republican governor-elect Glenn Youngkin is not a fan — the former private equity exec says he has never met a successful user. With his victory, alongside Republican gains in the legislature, the industry is likely to face far more resistance in the state.
- Legalization supporter and New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy(D) held on in a close race.
- Coloradoans rejected a proposal to raise pot taxes to fund educational enrichment programs.
The Colorado Sun
- Detroiters voted to decriminalize psychedelic mushrooms.
- Philadelphia voters showed support for REC legalization.