September 16 2021,
THE BIG IDEA
Happy Friday all!
It doesn’t happen often in the cannabiz, but this was a slow news week. It must have something to do with the end of summer, and those upcoming conferences. Hope to see you at a few of them.
In the news:
- Judge clears Bloom Farms in investor suit
- FDA warns on Delta-8 THC
Check out the new WeedWeek Jobs Board which offers FREE resources, including a resume evaluation, for active and passive job seekers and an attractive value prop for employers.
Reach the most influential audience in cannabis by advertising in the self-serve WeedWeek store. For a limited time you can get a 30% discount with the code WeedWeek30. Top of the newsletter ads are already booked through September 21.
Want to learn more about email blasts, sponsored content and other promotional opportunities? Contact email@example.com.
WeedWeek regularly links to paywalled content.
Health & Science
FDA warns on Delta-8 THC
- Many in the industry are pleased with California’s new CBD bill, which Gov. Gavin Newsom(D) is expected to sign. But a group of hemp farmers might sue to block it.
- A judge ruled Pennsylvania will have to disclose how many patients use MED for various conditions, including opioid addiction.
- The New York Times explains synthetic biology, which some companies are using to manufacture rare cannabinoids.
- Jackie Bryant talked to George Jage, CEO of Jage Media, which is putting on the upcoming MJUnpacked conference in Las Vegas. Jage is a former president of MJBiz Daily which is producing the rival MJBizCon simultaneously in Vegas. (MJUnpacked is a WeedWeek advertiser.)
- Education company (and WeedWeek advertiser) Green Flower Media, unveiled a new credentialing program called Green Flower Institute, in partnership with several dozen major employers.
- At an industry conference, the craft beer industry discussed its history of “discrimination” and “inequity.”
- Following the Sha’Carri Richardson incident, the World Anti-Doping Agency said it would review its cannabis ban.
- With the industry gathering in Sonoma County, Calif. for Hall of Flowers, legacy growers in the county are protesting local taxes and regulations.
- The green stuff has arrived at New York Fashion Week.
Green Market Report
- High Times VP, content Jon Cappetta shared his 10 favorite new products.
- Harborside founder Steve DeAngelo has published a coloring book, “Steve DeAngelo’s Marijuana Adventure.”
- Journalist Debra Borchardt and comms guy Leland Radovanovic started a podcast called Cannabis Crime Scene, about crime in the industry.
- The new indie film Freeland stars Krisha Fairchild as a legacy NorCal grower.
The Film Stage
IN THE WEEDS
- The first Oakland Psychedelic Conference is this weekend.
- The White Label World Expo will be September 30-October 1 in New York City.
- The Green Entrepreneur Green Growth Summit is set for October 27 in Chicago.
- The CWCBExpo, a B2B conference, is November 4-6 in New York City.
- The American Bar Association’s Global Business of Cannabis Conference is set for November 10-12 in Denver.
- Events company Trailblazers is hosting an upscale industry conference in Ojai, Calif., October 11-13.
- Law firm Vicente Sederberg is hosting a September 22 webinar on industry compliance with environmental laws.
- Renowned writer Michael Pollan will discuss “psychedelics and storytelling” during a Double Blind webinar on September 30.
- Roth Capital Partners will host a September 28 virtual event on Investing in Women Cannabis Pioneers — The Brand Builders.
- Bryan Passman, founder of recruiting firm Hunter + Esquire, discusses the job market, where the current bias favors applicants.
- Executive and activist Jessi Cox asked her cannabis network if they agree with President Biden’s vaccine mandate.
- Unfortunate pup Yenya has been diagnosed with bone cancer. Owner Paulius Podziunas is looking for a CBD brand to sponsor his post-operative recovery.
- Cannigma CEO Elana Goldberg asked if the term “stoner” is derogatory.
- “What’s your go to stoner movie?”
HIGH IN THE CHI
WEEDWEEK HIGH SOCIETY -- 9/17/21
Do your part to make High Society possible: Get vaccinated.
In Chicago, two brand reps strike poses at Select’s Pitchfork Fest pop up.
Send pictures for High Society to hello@weed
Pics should be between 600 and 1000 pixels long and wide. Each should include the name and affiliation (if relevant) of everyone pictured as well as the event’s name, date and location. Ideally submit several pics so we can pick our favorites.