Save $20 on WW Pro with code: WWCalPro20
August 11 2023,
THE BIG IDEA
It’s almost conference season. Rest up while you can.
Oh yeah, don’t miss High Society at the bottom of the newsletter. Send your pics to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Let’s get to it:
- Court order halts licensing in New York
Send tips, press releases, concerns, feedback and criticism to email@example.com
WeedWeek regularly links to paywalled content.
COURT ORDER HALTS LICENSING IN NEW YORK
A New York’s supreme court blocked new stores from opening in New York. The ruling sides with a group of disabled veterans, who argued the state’s equity licensing process was unconstitutional.
The injunction has “left many social equity applicants in the lurch,” Jeremy Berke explains in his Cultivated newsletter. An industry group that filed a similar suit in March has asked to join oral arguments. It’s members include MSOs Green Thumb Industries and Curaleaf.
LOOKING FOR A NEW JOB?
FOLLOW WeedWeek‘s new job board and be first to hear about great opportunities at top companies.
- 🤝Account Sales Executive, Fernway — Jersey City, NJ
- 🏬 Head of Retail, Nabis — California, remote
- ♟️Strategic Brand Manager, Petalfast — Remote
For a limited time, GET 50% OFF our job board’s Featured tier with code WWTalent50
AGENCY? Get a FREE THREE MONTH TRIAL: firstname.lastname@example.org
TALENTED? Get seen by top companies 100% FREE!
(And across the internet)
- Got any thoughts on how Congress can fix CBD regulation? The comment period ends August 18. Email suggestions to CBD@mail.house.gov and CBD@help.senate.com. Good luck.
- Public smoking is becomging more of an issue in numerous states.
- It was a big week for earnings: MSOs Trulieve, Green Thumb Industries, Curaleaf, Verano and Ascend Wellness Holdings reported. Weedmaps’ parent company returned to the black.
New Cannabis Ventures
- Trulieve said it’s evaluating its options after concluding that a former CFO allegedly helped themself to $400,000.
- Florida AG Ashley Moody, who is trying to stop a Truelieve-supported REC ballot initiative, said it would “entrench the sponsor’s monopolistic stranglehold” in the state.
- Track and trace software provider Metrc acquired Chroma Signet, a QR code platform for supply chains, Chroma CEO Marcus Estes posted on LinkedIn.
- A supplier company is suing tech-shop Dutchie over $25M in unpaid bills.
Green Market Report
- Verano is threatening to sue after Alabama redid its licensing and left the MSO without one.
Green Market Report
- Struggling Canadian player Tilray acquired eight craft breweries from Anheuser-Busch. Former Canadian giant Canopy Growth expressed concerns about its ability to remain in business.
State and local:
- Virginia is cracking down on intoxicating hemp-derived products.
- Arkansas has a new law designed to protect gun rights for MED patients. Canna Law Blog argues it won’t work.
- Illinois sales were up in July.
- MED shops are open in Georgia, but there are delays.
- Colorado’s regulator has room for improvement on inspections, a state auditor found.
- Investors are challenging Montana’s residency requirement in court.
Helena Independent Record
- A U.K. court ruling could help the CBD industry.
Cannabis Health News
- Evangelical journal Themelios explains what Christians need to know about “legalized” marijuana.
Fun and interesting:
- Four new tech-forward consumption devices.
Respect My Region
- A report by GreenWave Advisors found California has overstated pot taxes by $6B.
- The legislature is back in session with a month to pass bills. I’ll have a story early next week on what to watch for.
- The Parent Co. laid off dozens more.
SF Business Times
- California breeding is at a crossroads.
LA Review of Books
- KPBS reports on efforts to create a equitable market in San Diego.
- Following a court order, Chula Vista (San Diego Co.) will reprocess a rejected retail application after applicant CaliGrown sued the city.
San Diego Union-Tribune
- Fresno revoked a social equity license because the applicant lied to police.
- Oakland “magic mushroom pastor” Dave Hodges discussed his church Zide Door on Fox News.
- A law enforcement task force served dozens of warrants across Trinity County.
- Gov. Newsom’s task force stepped up enforcement in far northern Siskiyou Co. as well.
- High Times (which now has a paywall) profiled celebrated Humboldt grower Ridgeline Farms.
- The former mayor of Adelanto (San Bernardino Co.) was sentenced to 14 months in federal prison for a pot-related bribery scheme.
- Kiva partnered with MSO Ayr Wellness to bring the edibles brand to Florida.
- An auction of Herbl’s assets is scheduled for August 28.
Pacific Coast Business Times
- The deadline for applicants to lead LA’s Department of Cannabis Regulation is August 18.
- Harris Bricken attorney Jihee Ahn was named a California rising star in 2023 Super Lawyers.