Save $20 on WW Pro with code: WWCalPro20
July 29 2021,
THE BIG IDEA
Today in fun stuff I introduce you to my favorite new Instagram video and share a thoughtful piece by David Bienenstock on the overwhelming responsibility of judging the Emerald Cup.
But first, the news:
- Remember MedMen? They’re back
- Canada’s Cannabiz has big problems
- Libertarian billionaire Charles Koch makes a big pledge to the movement
As always, I’d love to hear your thoughts on social or at email@example.com.
WeedWeek regularly links to paywalled content.
Get 80% OFF ads in the WeedWeek store with the code WEEDWEEK80.
Canada's cannabiz is a mess
Billionaire Charles Koch champions legal weed
- Grown In has everything you need to know about Illinois’ license lottery cluster.
- The mainstream Consumer Brands Association, whose members include Coca-Cola and Pepsi, are pushing the FDA to clarify CBD regulations.
- MSO Trulieve‘s Instagram account got shut down.
- A California farm and produce distributor is among the first to offer “hemp baby greens” in its salad mixes.
Hemp Industry Daily
- The U.S. House of Representatives approved spending legislation with protections for banks that work with licensed companies, among other drug policy provisions.
- Long Beach, Calif.’s equity program is failing.
- Kyle Turley, the former NFL player warned by the FDA to stop claiming CBD cured Covid, is now spreading misinformation about the vaccines. (I’m not going to link to it.)
- Chris Roberts wrote about how Frenchy Cannoli saved the Emerald Triangle.
- The Cannigma interviewed master grower Kyle Kushman, née Adam Orenstein, about how to grow incredible weed.
- In The Unrolling Series, intrepid journalists Jackie Bryant and Lindsay MaHarry look at what’s inside their pre-rolls and give a candid, expert assessment. Consider me a fan.
Episode 5, Episode 3
- Besito founder Maggie Connors named five weed products she can’t live without.
- Longtime journo David Bienenstock wrote about the challenge of judging the Emerald Cup.
IN THE WEEDS
- Data shop BDSA posted about five infused beverages to watch and the state of the midwestern market.
- Fyllo‘s Alchemy podcast talked scaling companies with seasoned exec Leah Heise.
- Banks are gaining ground on credit unions in pursuit of cannabis business.
- Online wholesale marketplace LeafLink released its flash market data for July.
- On LinkedIn, founder Lauren Mundell is posting a “highlight real” about her quest to find investors in social app Hi-Curious.
- Greta Valenti of Grow Vision discusses the challenges of cannabis marketing.
Muse by Clio
- Eric Spitz of Rootz Research says high taxes on legal pot benefit the legacy market. And the proposed 25% tax in the federal legalization is causing “sticker shock.“
- Keith Villa, who developed craft beer Blue Moon and is now founder of infused beverage company Ceria, discussed the future of cannabis and the beverage industry.
- Legacy Emerald Triangle growers discussed California’s legal industry.
- MoCannBizCon will be August 11 and 12 in St. Louis.
- The Massachusetts Cannabis Connection Convention will be September 16 in Marlborough.
- At its October conference in Vegas, MJ Unpacked will host a concert by the Blues Brothers — Dan Ackroyd and Jim Belushi — to benefit the Last Prisoner Project. (MJ Unpacked is a WeedWeek advertiser.)
- Garcia Hand Picked, the family of Jerry Garcia and the Rex Foundation are hosting Daze Between, a multi-week hybrid event with music, a service component and brand activations.
- White Rabbit High Tea is back, hosting a tea party in L.A. on August 8.
- Recruiting firm Vangst will host a video Ask Me Anything session on August 18, 2021.
- Trade show Hall of Flowers will be in Santa Rosa on September 22 & 23 and Palm Springs on December 8 & 9.
- The LBCA and Cannabis Chamber will host a marketing and bizdev networking event in L.A. on August 5.
- The National Cannabis Festival will be August 28 in Washington D.C. Method Man, Redman and others are scheduled to perform.
WEEDWEEK HIGH SOCIETY -- 7/30/21
Do your part to make High Society possible: Get vaccinated.
A Hollywood-centric crowd joined the cannabis community for the Raw Garden Social Club soiree this week at Smogshoppe. Guests munched on Kogi BBQ tacos and grooved to DJ Noodles. Here’s Chief Political Officer Sam Rodriguez, VP Marketing Angela Cheng, Saturday Night Live set designer Keith Raywood and Krazee-Eyez Killa himself Chris Williams.
Send pictures for High Society to hello@
Pics should be between 600 and 1000 pixels long and wide. Each should include the name and affiliation (if relevant) of everyone pictured as well as the event’s name, date and location. Ideally submit several pics so we can pick our favorites.