July 26 2021,
THE BIG IDEA
Hard to believe summer’s almost halfway done. Don’t forget to enjoy it!
It’s been hot here in coastal SoCal, and we badly need rain. But so far we’ve been spared the merciless heat waves and other harsh weather that have hit so many of you.
Stay safe. Stay cool. And read the news:
- GoDaddy denies tech support to Heady NJ
- Georgia cracks open the door on MED
- An exclusive interview with Union Electric CEO Max Goldstein
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn
WeedWeek regularly links to paywalled content.
Get 80% OFF ads in the WeedWeek store with the code WEEDWEEK80.
Georgia cracks open door to medical marijuana
TALKING POINTS: Union Electric CEO Max Goldstein
Union Electric, the first brand out of SoCal incubator Open Nest, launched in March 2020, the day after the covid lockdown began.
It’s been a good time for many value flower brands and today’s Talking Points interview is with CEO Max Goldstein. While Goldstein shares the bullishness of most every pot CEO, he’s taking the company in a couple unique directions.
Among other things, he discussed crowdfunding, the opportunity for value brands and why his target customer is “the eternal stoner.”
- The White House declined an opportunity to blame marijuana to rising crime in Washington D.C. The administration is also seeking public comment on a “possible global kratom ban.“
- Cannabis-related construction is feeling the bite of inflation. But “opportunities abound” in the Michigan cannabiz.
- Jimmy Haber, the restauranteur behind BLT Steak, has teamed up with Colorado-based Toast, to open consumption lounges in New York City.
- In a win for cultivators, Washington state banned manufacturing THC from CBD in a process similar to that used to make Delta-8 THC.
- But cultivators in higher-cost countries should be on alert: Colombia lifted its ban on dry flower exports.
- The four-star Clarendon Hotel in Phoenix will be Arizona’s first 420-friendly hotel. And Jackie Bryant found canna-tourism taking off in Humboldt.
AZ Big Media, San Diego Magazine
- Now that he’s home from prison, Michael Thompson is living the good life.
- Vanity Fair tells how edibles brand Rose seeks to create a more sustainable cannabis ecosystem.
- A Slate podcast told the story of High Times.
- “How real smokers play frysbee.”
- Kip Wilson, host of the podcast Stoned Appetit, recommended his favorite sandwiches in Denver.
- Poseidon‘s Garden Ventures fund announced its first investments in dispensary software Dispense, cultivator software Adaviv, and JKL2, a cultivation partner of white label producer WHT LBL.
- E-commerce platform Jane Technologies said it entered the Canadian market.
- In August, former casino executive Tim Wright is opening Cannaffornia, a large retail and consumption complex in California’s Imperial Valley, east of San Diego.
- MSO Verano is expanding its Nevada presence with the $29M acquisition of Sierra Well.
- Kanabo announced plans to acquire Materia and create Europe’s largest public cannabis company.
- Sana Packaging says it has released the industry’s first concentrate lid made from 100% ocean bound and reclaimed plastic.
- MSO Green Thumb‘s equity brand Good Green is committing $1.3M over 18 months to non-profits that serve communities marginalized by the war on drugs. Applications are open.
- Cookies is opening its first east coast store in Worcester, Mass.
- New York-based operator Etain Health released the Motif Magnetic vape pen, which uses magnets instead of a 510 thread.
- Keef Brands is releasing a line of “purpose-driven” beverages with lesser known cannabinoids THCv, CBG and CBN.
- Seth Rogen’s Houseplant brand released a new $190 gravity glass.
- TILT Holdings named Dana Arvidson Chief Operating Officer.
- Psychedelics MED company Compass Pathways named Danielle Schlosser, Ph.D. as senior vice president clinical innovation.
WEEDWEEK HIGH SOCIETY -- 7/27/21
Co-owners Charles Toney II, Keena Middleton, and Eric Grayson, celebrate the opening of their dispensary Flight in San Francisco’s Parkmerced neighborhood.
Send pictures for High Society to email@example.com.
Pics should be between 600 and 1000 pixels long and wide. Each should include the name and affiliation (if relevant) of everyone pictured as well as the event’s name, date and location. Ideally submit several pics so we can pick our favorites.