November 18 2021,
THE BIG IDEA
Happy Friday everyone,
In 2020 Green Wednesday was the biggest sales day of the year. Hard to believe it’s back already.
Here’s wishing you all have a great pre-holiday weekend. Those are always my favorites.
In the newsletter:
- Berner and Weedmaps’ social venture is a go
- First case of fentanyl-laced weed confirmed
And so much more,
Reach the most influential audience in cannabis by advertising in the self-serve WeedWeek store.
WeedWeek regularly links to paywalled content.
Health & Science
First fentanyl-laced weed case confirmed
- Rep. Nancy Mace (R-S.C.), who introduced the new Republican legalization bill, said she used cannabis to treat depression after she was raped.
- New York City mayor elect Eric Adams (D) joked about weed with Stephen Colbert.
- Former congressman and longtime legalization supporter Beto O’Rourke is running for governor of Texas.
- After 45 years, the publisher of anti-pot publication The Marijuana Report is calling it quits.
- VC fund Poseidon is launching a new actively managed pot-stock ETF with AdvisorShares.
- Herbal supplement brand Irwin Naturals seeks to be the first mainstream brand to enter the THC and psychedelics industries.
- New York meets cannabis, marketing and NFT mogul Gary Vaynerchuk.
- Jackie Bryant asks if there’s any truth behind strain-specific edibles.
- The MedMen trial will soon go to the jury.
Green Market Report
- Business Insider has the deck that helped Pistil Data, a platform for sales reps, raise $6.5M.
- The pub also talked to hemp and ayahuasca lawyer Adriana Kertzer of Plant Medicine Law Group. She posts interviews with notable Jewish partakers at @jewwhotokes.
- Canna tech company Meadow has a new tool to facilitate “dynamic delivery,” essentially operating a dispensary out of a car.
- Business of Fashion profiles Edie Parker, a handbag brand betting on cannabis.
- A group of California growers is suing El Dorado County and Sheriff for blocking REC licensing.
- Lobbyist Jacqueline McGowan says California’s cultivation tax hike is “crushing” the industry. @cannabispermits calls it “a big fuck you to the industry.”
Health and Science:
- Indian police suspect pot smugglers of using Amazon’s e-commerce platform.
Fun and interesting:
- CelebStoner urges you to stop smoking blunts, for health reasons.
- Cheech Marin is launching Muncheechos, a national late-night food delivery service.
Bar & Restaurant
- “Flying Over Sunset” is a new, more or less true, musical about Cary Grant, Aldous Huxley and Claire Boothe Luce dropping acid together.
New York Times
- Here’s a map of the world colored by alcohol consumption per capita.
- Elon Musk referenced weed in an asinine tweet.
- Michelle Lhooq asks if you can make “God-tier” music on ketamine.
- Mike Tyson described a trip on psychedelic toad venom.
IN THE WEEDS
- Dr. Ethan Russo will discuss cannabis and women’s health at a December 2 webinar.
- The Emerald Cup announced the line-up for the Harvest Ball, December 11-12 in Santa Rosa, Calif.
- Tomorrow, the Plato Verde Social Club is holding a five-course cannabis lunch in Santa Cruz County, Calif. to benefit the Last Prisoner Project.
- Tomorrow, Luchador is hosting an event which combines wrestling, tacos and stand-up comedy in San Diego.
- Lowell Farms introduced paperless Hash Wraps.
- Infused bubbles maker Levia has a new “winter-seltzer” called Pomegranate Punch.
- Puffco released a new “Indiglow” model of its Peak Pro collection. (Pictured)
- A company called PlantChek released home tests to determine products’ CBD and THC content.
- Just in time for Hannukah, glass shop GRAV is selling a Menorah bubbler. “Will you last for all eight bowls?” ($399)
- Hustle Hard Media created a card game called “In Weed We Trust.”
- The L.A. Times found 21 “stoner-approved” gifts.
- Reese’s has a new pie-sized peanut butter cup. The limited edition 3.4 pound pies cost $44.99.
- Jane Technologies exec Brian Geddes says the industry needs to embrace strict franchise rules.
- Journalist Lindsey Bartlett says brands don’t need to be gendered.
- @Sherbinski415 honored rapper Young Dolph who was fatally shot.
- @AIWeedArticles tweets “Ridiculous Fake #CannabisNews Headlines Generated by AI”
WEEDWEEK HIGH SOCIETY -- 11/19/21
Do your part to make High Society possible: Get vaccinated.
Send pictures for High Society to hello@
Pics should be between 600 and 1000 pixels long and wide. Each should include the name and affiliation (if relevant) of everyone pictured as well as the event’s name, date and location. Ideally submit several pics so we can pick our favorites.