Berner and Weedmaps' social venture is a go
Cannatech is a hot sector. But while there have been several attempts to whip up a 420-themed social network, none, to the best of my knowledge, has had any success.
- (Last we heard from MassRoots, a high profile effort turned fiasco, it was going into the metal recycling business.)
But if anyone has the resources and clout to pull off such a venture it would be Cookies co-founder Berner and publicly-traded tech-player Weedmaps, who say they're moving forward on a long-delayed social project.
The Growth Op, Ganjapreneur
- "The idea is to level the playing field by making Marijuana.com, called the “Instagram of Marijuana,” a safe destination for cannabis businesses, key figures and enthusiasts," The Growth Op reports.
- Berner recently tweeted, “Are you sick [of] being silenced ?? Have you lost your account for posting weed ?? Don’t worry … me & @weedmaps have something special in the works.”
- While social media bans and shadow bans infuriate potcos, it's not clear what the new service will offer. On social media, Berner described it as a platform for "cultivators, brands, connoisseurs and stores."
- Andrew DeAngelo recently interviewed Berner, who's recovering from cancer surgery.