The federal government’s $600/week lifeline for the unemployed, which began in April and supported a lot of people’s cannabis purchases, has expired. Observers are now asking whether it will at least temporarily depress sales.
- Industry execs say they’re more concerned about the overall recovery than this specific benefit.
- While the benefit may be extended as part of ongoing COVID relief, some Republicans have proposed slashing the benefit to $200/week.
- Politico suggests the illegal market may have been hit harder by the pandemic-related economic downturn.
- SF Weekly talks to Erich Pearson, CEO of Sparc dispensary, about their pandemic strategy. That story is by Zack Ruskin and WeedWeek is very excited to start crossposting his excellent newsletter Rolling Stoned.
Meanwhile, lots of cannabiz companies are ????staffing up. The most in-demand skills include sales, marketing and IT.
- U.S. cannabis employment could surpass the number of computer programmers this year.