What else is happening:
- After being told their past marijuana use would be overlooked, dozens of White House staffers have been sidelined or asked to resign.
The Daily Beast
- President Biden personally rejected a bid to add legalization to the party platform for fear it would cost him the election.
- (Here are 15 former presidential candidates (and several former presidents) who’ve copped to smoking pot.)
- The Safe Banking Act, which would enable the industry to access the financial system, was reintroduced in the House of Representatives. Business Insider serves up seven things you need to know about the bipartisan bill.
- Another federal bill would allow insurers to serve the industry.
- New York is reportedly close on a deal to legalize REC. Forbes argues it won’t kill the illegal market.
- Oklahoma’s House of Representatives passed a bill that would limit licenses in the freewheeling MED market.
Cannabis Business Times
- New Mexico could legalize REC this weekend.
- Business Insider ranks the bankruptcy risk of 13 major cannabis companies. U.S. operators can’t file for federal bankruptcy protection. (Paywall)
- The $1.9 trillion stimulus offers more ways for the industry to obtain financial assistance. And those $1,400 stimulus checks may lead to a bump in sales.
- Cooking show “Chopped” is creating a 420-friendly version.