In a historic first, the U.S. House of Representatives plans to vote on the MORE Act, which would legalize cannabis federally. The bill’s lead sponsor is vice presidential candidate Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.)
- The bill would expunge some cannabis offenders’ records and create funding for communities harmed by the war on drugs. It would also give broad leeway to states to legalize at their own pace and with their own laws.
- The Republican-controlled Senate is unlikely to pass the MORE Act.
- The vote is likely in September, though the specific date has not been finalized. House members have been asked to indicate support this week.
- Rep. Barbara Lee (D-Calif.) said Joe Biden needs to evolve on cannabis legalization.
- President Trump reportedly remains worried about cannabis ballot initiatives hurting him in November.