The record breaking fires which have destroyed millions of acres in California, Oregon and Washington, including many cannabis farms, are forcing the industry to think about whether this represents a “new normal” for the industry.
- “We’ve already broken the record for most acres burned in history, and we haven’t even gotten to the worst part of the season. So I think this is the new norm. Fires are just a way of life at this point,” said David Najera, a marijuana cultivation consultant and farmer in Mendocino County, California.
- One solution he suggested is for farms to keep livestock to minimize kindling on their property.
- In Oregon, roughly 20% of cannabis businesses required evacuating.
- Canna Law Blog looked at the situation in California and Oregon.
- ????WW California has more.