Detroit’s city council voted to approve a REC licensing ordinance that guarantees 50% of new licenses for “legacy Detroiters.”
Click on Detroit
- The city plans to license up to 75 REC shops and will start accepting applications in April.
- At present only 4 of the 46 MED shops in Detroit are owned by city residents.
- In addition, the city will award licenses to growers, processors and other state-approved categories.
- Cities including Boston, Oakland and Los Angeles have tried similar programs. They’ve all encountered difficulties and experienced limited success.
- President Trump is widely expected to issue more pardons before he leaves office. He’ll be hearing about numerous pot offenders.